Just when you thought all peanut treats were safe for pets comes the deadly combo of xylitol in peanut butter.
It’s no surprise that dogs love food. And if we had to pick one particular treat that tops the list, it’s peanut butter by miles. Have you ever seen the fabulous faces that dogs make when they indulge in it?
In case you answered no, well, it’s a striking affair to say the last. And truly one you’ll remember for a long time. However, what if we told you that there’s one form of food that could prove fatal for your furry friends?
The answer is simple, xylitol in peanut butter is as dangerous as it gets. And we’re listing down the reasons why. Don’t forget to share the news with others with dogs. Who knows, you might save another pet’s life by doing so. Meanwhile, let’s get back to our facts.
What is xylitol
For those who may not know, xylitol is the name given to a type of sugar or sweetener. Commonly, it’s an ingredient used in plenty of foods. This includes peanut butter, chewing gum, toothpaste, as well as yogurt too. And while you may wonder if it’s so dangerous, why is it consumed in the first place.
Well, it so happens that xylitol is great for humans. On a routine basis, you’ll find dentists recommending it for obvious reasons. One of the biggest reasons is the fact that it doesn’t cause caries and protects your teeth. For this reason, it’s also found in toothpaste and chewing gum too.
Xylitol in peanut butter- a fatal ingredient for dogs
Now let’s quickly shift from the world of dogs to the world of humans. Xylitol is super dreadful for dogs. Moreover, animal experts say that if dogs ingest it, the consequences may be severe.
To help give you an example of what we’re referring to, think along the lines of seizures, liver failure, and even death. Yes, your furry friends can die from having xylitol in peanut butter. But wait, there is more to the matter so there’s no need to panic.
Thankfully, peanut butter does arise in a large array of variations. In addition, many options are free of the deadly dog sweetener too. The bad news however is that as days go by, more and more products contain the low-calorie sweetener.
What can pet owners do to make a difference?
The answer is simple and pretty logical too. Pet owners need to exercise extra caution while being very vigilant too. Keeping an eye on what your dog consumes is quintessential as it is, and this food substance is no exception.
To help you out, we went one step ahead to list down all the brands that actually contain the scary dog ingredient. They include Krush Nutrition, Go Nuts, Co, P28 Foods, and Nuts ‘N More.
Other than that, it’s so important to be aware of xylitol poisoning in animals like dogs. And here are some of the many signs and symptoms that your pet might experience after having the combo:
- Weakness in muscles
- Difficulty walking
Also, most of these symptoms occur after 15 mins of consumption. Therefore, if anyone assumes that their pet was affected, they shouldn’t delay. In fact, visiting the nearest veterinarian or contacting the local pet poison helpline is always a good option.
So what’s the take-home message from it all? Most peanut butter is safe for dogs to eat. However, those containing xylitol aren’t and that’s why you need to keep a check before it’s too late.
For more trending stories from around the globe, don’t forget to take a look at our article This Muscular Cow Is Going Viral But There’s More To His Claim To Fame.