A mother has issued a grave warning after her toddler daughter nearly died from playing with a popular toy.
31-year-old Jade Berriman is a worried mom who decided to speak out after her daughter’s sudden illness in hopes of saving innocent children’s lives.
According to Jade, her 2-year-old daughter Meliyah-Jayd became severely ill shortly after playing with her brother’s six magnetic fidget balls. As doctors discovered, the girl swallowed the balls which then caused an obstruction and ‘burned’ four holes in her bowel.
“I knew she was dying and I knew she was leaving me,” the upset mom said as she recalled her daughter vomiting liters of dark green liquid.
Jade initially took Meliyah to the hospital only for her symptoms to be passed off as gastroenteritis. A week after the child’s symptoms began, Meliyah’s condition continued to deteriorate and her mother rushed her daughter to the ER. Once again, however, the girl was misdiagnosed.
“I knew that was completely wrong but they gave her antibiotics and shipped me out with a lethargic baby who was being sick constantly and screaming with tummy pain,” Jade added.
After being diagnosed with tonsilitis and given antibiotics, the girl’s illness worsened and her mother struggled to get another GP to check her. Eventually, the pair visited a treatment center where an ultrasound revealed the toddler’s stomach was filled with fluid.
“It must have been liters flying out of her tummy. It was a green color like the dark green innocent smoothie and this was her poo. Her body was poisoning her,” the devastated mom explained.
“She was so floppy and weak she couldn’t hold herself up. She was choking on her own vomit and we had to hold her up. She was dying.”
After fluids were discovered in the toddler’s stomach, doctors pumped them out of the girl’s stomach and performed an X-ray which showed six magnetic balls stuck inside the child’s bowel.
In an emergency procedure, the toys were extracted and an infected part of the bowel was removed.
Fortunately, the girl received treatment just in time to survive the ordeal and was discharged from the hospital after spending a week in the high-dependency ward.
“I knew she was dying. It was horrible, and such an awful feeling. It was like a piece of me inside was leaving my body. Don’t buy these metal balls. I wish I had never bought them for my son,” the mother concluded.
“Of course, I am partly to blame for purchasing these for my older children and she must have swallowed them when I had my back turned for a second but I want to raise awareness on how dangerous these tiny little balls can be.”
What are your thoughts on this matter? Let us know in the comments and don’t forget to SHARE this post with your family and friends. For more news and stories, follow us on Facebook!