US swimming champion Jamie Cail’s cause of death has finally been revealed months after she passed away.
42-year-old Jamie Cail was initially reported to have died from a cardiac arrest but officials just confirmed that the cause of death was an accidental poisoning with fentanyl.
It was on February 21 when she was found unresponsive by her partner on the floor of their home in the U.S. Virgin Islands.
A coroner on the USVI confirmed that Cail died from ‘fentanyl intoxication with aspiration of gastric content.’
The swimming champion was a member of the US team at the 1997 Pan Pacific Championships, winning a gold metal on her team’s 800 free relay.
She also won a silver medal at the 1998-1999 World Aquatics Swimming World Cup in Brazil.
Medics at St. John reportedly performed CPR on her when she arrived and ‘indicated that she was in cardiac arrest.’
Officers were told about the ‘dead-on-arrival’ case.
Deaths from fentanyl overdose have been on the rise in the U.S.
Cail’s tragic death is the second in U.S. Virgin Islands, with the first occurring on April 28, 2021, when Rachl ‘Staarchild’ Atnip, 30, was found unresponsive at her St. Thomas home.
The former University of Maine swimmer’s family have been devastated and ‘shook’ to the core. One friend said that Cail ‘deserves justice’ even though no arrests have been made in connection with her tragic death.
One post read: “She tried to escape to start healing. Unfortunately, she didn’t make it in time. You were so close honey.”
Cail also worked at a coffee shop and bookstore in St. John. Residents have left flowers and tributes for the swimmer outside of the store.
What are your thoughts on this? Let us know in the comments section and SHARE this story with your friends and family!