The husband of the mother-of-two who died after drinking too much water desperately tried to save the life of his wife.
Ashley Summers, her husband Cody Summers, and her two children Brynlee and Brooklyn had been enjoying their vacation at Indina’s Lake Freeman when the tragic incident happened.
On the last day of their trip, the mom started complaining that she was feeling dizzy and extremely dehydrated so she decided to drink water.
Ashley’s uncle, Deon Miller, said to The Messenger: “It was really hot, and they were out on the water. She had a headache and felt really thirsty.
“She thought she must have been dehydrated, so she drank like four bottled waters in half an hour.”
According to WRTV, the mother-of-two collapsed in the garage after drinking 64oz of water in less than 20 minutes.
Her husband performed CPR on her after seeing her unconscious on the floor. He then rushed her to Indiana University Health Arnett Hospital where she was diagnosed with water toxicity, also called hyponatremia, which occurs when there is too much water in the body and sodium level gets too low.
“Cody gave her CPR and got her going a little bit, but by the time they got to the hospital and ran tests and everything, they had to put her on the ventilator,” Deon said.
“By that time, her brain had swelled enough that it shut all circulation off to her brain, and she was brain dead.”
The mother’s death was a shock for everyone, including her brother Devon Miller, who said: “It was a big shock to us all. I was just like, this is a thing?
“She just felt like she couldn’t get enough water… When they left the sand bar to when they got to the dock, it was about a 20 minute boat ride … she drank four bottles of water in that 20 minutes.”
Summers’ grieving family told WRTV that she was able to donate her heart, kidneys, lungs, liver, and some of her bone tissue – saving five other lives.
What are your thoughts on this? Let us know in the comments section and SHARE this story with your friends and family!