Four-year-old twins died tragically after falling asleep in their airtight toy chest.
Little Aurora and Kellan were put to bed by their father, Don Starr, on August 25 as it was time for them to go to sleep.
Rather than going to sleep, however, the twins decided to play with their stuffed toys and snuggle inside their toy chest.
After closing themselves in the airtight chest, the siblings died from suffocation. Aurora and Kellan were later found dead embracing each other in their arms by their older brother who first thought they were still asleep.
The twins’ heartbroken mom, Sadie Myers, has since spoken out and urged other parents of young children to be careful around soundproof and airtight toy chests.
“Not many will know the pain of losing two children at the same time, and losing them in a way that makes no sense,” she said.
In a Facebook statement, she added: “Me and Don are having and extremely hard time trying to make sense of this… not many will ever know the feeling of trying to not spend EVERY WAKING SECOND crying in agony.
“So hard that it makes you fall over in pain, but we are trying soooo hard to not let our boys see us this way. I have to believe that something in this universe chose them specifically, maybe to protect them from some future tragedy, or maybe because their souls were too perfect for this world.”
The mother also revealed that she was working the night shift on the day of the incident and that her husband had put the children to bed in the evening. At night, however, the kids got up and decided to play with the toys in the chest.
“Friday night, the weird place they decided to snuggle up and go back to sleep was in their cedar toy chest that we use to store all their stuffed animals,” she explained.
“Something I did not know and I’m sure many others don’t know is that most wooden toy chests once closed are AIR TIGHT and also sound proof. I hope knowing this helps in some way, and I hope if you have a toy box like this that you destroy it immediately!
“So as they slept, all snuggled up together, they slowly ran out of oxygen within a couple of hours and passed away. They never even knew it was happening. There was no sudden gasp for air, it was a very slow transition from sleep to passing on.”
Our thoughts remain with Aurora and Kellan’s loved ones during this challenging time.