A young boy died tragically after participating in a viral TikTok challenge.
14-year-old Harris Wolobah was a tenth-grader from Worcester, Massachusetts, who collapsed suddenly after taking part in the so-called ‘One Chip Challenge’ which sees people try what is known as the world’s spiciest chip.
According to the reports, Harris’s mother was called to the school on September 1 after her son complained about stomachache while at school. The boy admitted to eating a spicy chip that was given to him by one of his classmates.
After returning home, the tenth-grader started feeling better before collapsing suddenly while heading out to catch his basketball practice at around 4:30 p.m.
Police Lt. Sean Murtha has since confirmed that the boy was unresponsive and not breathing at the time he was found by first responders. After being rushed to the hospital, the child was pronounced dead.
While this is the first reported fatality caused by the spicy chip we know of, a number of children previously suffered health issues because of the same challenge.
Just last year, an entire school district in Louisiana banned chips from their campuses after several students suffered adverse health effects and required medical assistance.
The spicy chip – which has been manufactured by Paqui since 2016 – contains two of the world’s spiciest chilis including the California Reaper Pepper and the Naga Viper Pepper.
Marketed under the campaign name “One Chip Challenge,” the controversial product encourages people to test their limits while branding those who can last one hour without drinking or eating anything for relief as “apex predators.”
The product, however, contains a clear warning that reads: “Keep out of reach of children. Intended for adult consumption.”
Our thoughts remain with Harris’s family during this challenging time.