The heartbroken couple whose wedding turned into a nightmare because of a fire that took the lives of at least 100 guests have revealed that they are moving away from their community.
Revan, 27, and his wife Haneen, 18, were dancing in front of the crowd when the ceiling caught fire.
The couple and their guests immediately ran outside the building at many died when the ceiling collapsed.
In an interview with Sky News, Revan said of the tragedy: “That’s it, we can’t live here anymore. We can’t live here anymore, I mean every time we try to have some happiness, something tragic happens to us and destroys the happiness so it’s best for us to leave.
“(Haneen)’s lost 10 relatives from her family, her loved ones, her mom, her brother. She can’t speak.”
Reports also revealed that the family was forced to hide as people in their community were blaming them for the incident.
14 people have been arrested after the accident, including the owner of the Al Haytham Wedding Hall venue.
The poor construction of the building as well as flammable panels used in the ceiling may have contributed to the severity of the blaze, according to state news agency NIA.
Iraq’s civil defense directorate allegedly stated: “The fire led to the collapse of parts of the hall as a result of the use of highly flammable, low-cost building materials that collapse within minutes when fire breaks out.”
Around 100 guests tragically died while at least 150 were left injured.
One of the guests, Rania Waad, told AFP: “Fireworks started to climb to the ceiling and the whole hall went up in flames. We couldn’t see anything. We were suffocating, we didn’t know how to get out.”
Imad Yohana, told Reuters: “We saw the fire pulsating, coming out of the hall. Those who managed got out and those who didn’t got stuck. Even those who made their way out were broken.”
What are your thoughts on this? Let us know in the comments section and SHARE this story with your friends and family!