The shocked neighbors of 18-month-old twins who drowned in their family pool after their great-grandmother with Alzheimer’s left the door open have spoken out.
Loreli and Locklyn Callazo were found by their mom, Jenny Callazzo, at the bottom of the pool on March 16.
Firefighters arrived at the Oklahoma home and found the mother administering CPR to her children after they reportedly fell into the pool around 10:45 am.
Only two hours after the twins were found in the pool, they were pronounced dead.
Jenny was reportedly living with her grandmother, six children, and her husband Sonny, 42.
A family relative told Daily Mail that Jenny’s grandmother, who has Alzheimer’s, left a door open, which gave the children access to the family pool.
Police investigated the deaths of the siblings but said that there was no foul play involved.
Shocked neighbors have spoken out after the heartbreaking incident.
One neighbor said to News 4: “It’s certainly disturbing. And, you know, my prayers go out to that family because little children are precious.
“They brought out two little children and put them in separate ambulances. And they were doing CPR on both little children. I saw the mother who was distraught, who got in an EMS vehicle.”
Speaking to the Mail, Injury Prevention Coordinator for Trauma at OU Health Laura Gamino said: “From Safe Kids Oklahoma City Metro and Oklahoma Children’s Hospital, [we’re] very, very sorry to hear this. It’s just tragic.”
Gamino continued: “Anything can happen in an instant…Children are attracted to water and toddlers won’t have the skills to be able to help themselves get out of water…Drowning is very sudden, and it’s very silent.
“Sometimes people have an idea that a child will have trouble in the water and be screaming, but they can’t because their mouth is full of water. So it’s very silent, and that’s one of the scariest things about it.”
What are your thoughts on this? Let us know in the comments section and SHARE this story with your friends and family!
Recommended Video For You!
“Newborn Twins Have Their First Conversation In The Hospital Baby Cot”