MMA star Alexander Pisarev tragically died at the age of 33 after eating a ‘poisoned’ watermelon.
According to reports, his father found him dead in his apartment in Moscow on October 30.
Speaking to the Russian news agency TASS, a member of the Tomahawk team said: “Alexander Pisarev died in his sleep and did not have any chronic health problems. According to preliminary data, death was the result of food poisoning.”
Media outlets suggested that the MMA star died after eating a watermelon. His wife, who also ate the same fruit, has been left hospitalized.
Pisarev’s father, Igor Vladimirovich, returned to the apartment after walking his dog to find that his son was unresponsive and no longer breathing.
“I looked into the room. Alexander and his wife were sleeping. I came closer and then realized that my son was no longer breathing,” the grieving father said.
“There were fractures of the fingers after the last fights, but this is nothing. We all eat the same food, we live together.”
The outer skin of watermelon can sometimes get contaminated as they grow close to the ground. They can also become contaminated from storing, handling, and transporting.
In Norway, a recent Salmonella outbreak left 20 people ill and was believed to be caused by watermelons.
Pisarev’s heartbroken relatives said he was in good condition and had no chronic illnesses.
“In Balashikha, an investigation was organized into the death of an athlete as a result of poisoning,” the Moscow Region Investigative Committee said.
“Investigators, with the participation of a forensic specialist, are conducting an additional inspection of the scene, confiscating items relevant to the investigation, and planning a forensic chemical examination,” they added.
In a statement, Tomahawk team also said: “My brother, my friend, my student! Words cannot express the extent of the loss. Alexander Pisarev is the standard of friendship, decency and courage of a Russian person.
“I and we will miss you!!! Rest in peace our brother.”
What are your thoughts on this? Let us know in the comments section and SHARE this story with your friends and family!