A 23-year-old man fell into scaling water and dissolved in acid while his horrified sister filmed his final moments.
Colin Scott and his sister Sable Scott were looking for a place to soak in Yellowstone National Park when the incident happened on June 7.
According to reports, the siblings ignored the large warning signs in the area telling people to stay on the boardwalk.
Sable filmed her brother stepping off the Norris Geyser Basin’s boardwalk to find the perfect place to ‘hot pot’ – a term for soaking in the natural thermal features in the park.
Her brother then dipped his finger into the water to check the temperature but accidentally ‘slipped and fell.’
Rescuers reportedly saw his body in the waters but they were unable to get him due to the ‘volatile’ thermal area and an incoming lightning storm. The next day, rangers were unable to find his remains.
Deputy Chief Ranger Lorant Verres called the Norris Geyser basin – where the incident occurred – ‘very dangerous’ with boiling acidic waters.
Verres said there is a closure in the area to prevent visitors from soaking in the waters for their own safety and also to protect the fragile resources of the park.
“They were specifically moving in that area for a place that they could potentially get into and soak. I think they call it Hot Potting,” Verres said.
The Norris Geysen basin is a popular tourist attraction in the nation’s first national park. Water temperatures can reach 199F (92C) – the boiling point for water at the high elevation.
Park officials said at least 22 people have died from hot-spring related injuries since 1890.
What are your thoughts on this? Let us know in the comments section and SHARE this story with your friends and family!