Life support will be turned off for a young Aussie boy who suffered severe injuries after choking on a small sausage at his school.
7-year-old Decklan from Orange, NSW, was enjoying snacks during a nutritional program at his school, the Glenroi Heights Public School, when he suddenly collapsed after a “choking incident” involving a hot dog.
According to the witnesses, the boy was playing and laughing with his friends when the popular food got lodged inside his throat and blocked his airways.
While the staff and the paramedics that arrived at the school did their best to treat the boy, Decklan suffered a cardiac arrest and was left without oxygen to his brain for twenty long minutes.
By the time he was airlifted to a children’s hospital, the young student already suffered severe brain damage. He was put on life support on July 19, and his systems will be turned off on August 1 after his family says their final goodbyes.
“Anyone that ever met Decky knows he was the most bubbly happy funny kid and he will always have a special place in so many of our hearts,” the boy’s aunt, Kaylah Hayward, wrote as she launched a GoFundMe to raise money for the boy’s sendoff.
Confirming that tragic turn of events was also the Glenroi Heights Public School principal Tegan Davis who said:
“Staff immediately provided aid upon noticing [Decklan] was distressed and moved other students away from the immediate area. Classes stayed in their rooms to assist emergency services until approximately 1.15pm.”
In an update, the principal added: “They would like you to know that Decklan is still with us and continues on life support. The family is considering turning off the life support sometime next week.
“Our thoughts are with Decklan’s family at this time. Thank you to our school community for your continued care and support for Decklan and his family.”
Our thoughts remain with Decklan’s loved ones during this challenging time.