A young boy lost two of his fingers in a shocking firework attack while playing with his friend.
9-year-old Kyran Payne from Caerphilly, Wales, was playing with his 8-year-old friend Bradley Guzvic at a local park when a group of teenagers threw a firework into their hideout.
Not knowing what the firework was, the young boy picked up the rocket only for it to explode in his hand and knock out both boys.
After being found unconscious, the two children were rushed to the hospital where they were treated for severe burns and injuries to their faces. Little Kyran also lost two fingers in the explosion and his sight didn’t return until almost a week after the incident.
“As he picked it up it went bang in his hand. They were sat right next to each other. There was no way of running off,” his father, Liam, explained.
“One of his most vivid memories is watching his fingers fall off as he was walking home. As you can imagine, we have been dealing with quite a distressed little boy.
“He didn’t want to walk because he couldn’t see, he couldn’t understand where he was. He was getting quite frightened every time he heard loud noises.”
Revealing that his son is still in the hospital awaiting a skin graft, Liam continued: “He burnt his corneas, he burnt his eyes, he’s got permanent scarring and tattooing of the face.
“He got shrapnel burns across his chest, his stomach, burnt his legs, he’s lost his little finger, lost his ring finger and lost a chunk of his middle finger.
It’s all in his face and his eyes.When you looked in his eye, when it first happened you could see the cuts and everything across the front of his eyeballs. He had a lot of shrapnel. They said they were picking glass and metal out of his face. ”
The furious dad has since also called on lawmakers to impose stricter rules and make purchasing fireworks illegal without a license.
“You shouldn’t be allowed to buy fireworks without a license. In this country, you can’t buy a gun without a license and you can’t buy hand grenades,” the father argued.
“In essence, fireworks can be used as hand grenades, which is what has happened here. It shouldn’t be allowed.”
What are your thoughts on this news? Let us know in the comments and don’t forget to SHARE this post with your family and friends. For more news and stories, follow us on Facebook!