A four-year-old girl almost died after accidentally swallowing water while playing in a swimming pool.
It was a beautiful and sunny morning when Elianna Grace from Florida played in her grandmother’s pool together with her friends.
As many kids do, she accidentally swallowed some pool water but spat it out right away.
Two days later, her mother, Lacey Grace, noticed that there was something wrong with her daughter.
Elianna felt sick and feverish, and Lacey initially thought that the young girl had just caught a cold. But her daughter’s condition worsened and there were no signs of recovery.
“I kept replaying that pool scene in my head and remembered reading a story last year about a Dad in Texas whose son passed away because he went untreated after inhaling a bunch of pool water. I wasn’t going to let that be Elianna,” she wrote on Facebook.
“We went from school to the urgent care, hoping the doctor would say ‘her lungs sound great, it’s just viral, etc’. We were there about 10 minutes when the doctor said to get her to the nearest ER as soon as possible.”
Elianna was later diagnosed with aspiration pneumonia and was put on oxygen as it was very difficult for her to breathe on her own.
“For now, we just pray that the antibiotic takes quickly and her lungs can find a way to get rid of the pool chemicals,” Lacey wrote.
“They will keep us until she’s fever free for 24 hours, her chest X-ray comes back clear, and she can sleep fully through the night without her oxygen levels dropping so drastically. If she requires more than 3 liters of oxygen we will be transferred to Hopkins All Children’s Hospital.”
After complicated treatment, Elianna’s condition was finally stable and she continued her treatment at home.
Lacey shared a lengthy post on Facebook to raise awareness and prevent a similar incident from happening to another child.
One parent commented: “Thank you for sharing your story. Thoughts and prayers!”
Another wrote: “Prayers for your little girl.”
A third added: “Thank you so much for sharing your story. Praying for a speedy recovery.”
What are your thoughts on this? Let us know in the comments section and SHARE this story with your friends and family!
Recommended Video For You!
Playful Pooch Enjoys A Sunny Day In Owner’s Pool