Tommy Ivor’s parents Liam Hayes and Anya Hayes were devastated by the death of their baby boy after 2 hospital visits.
Liam Hayes, 21, and Anya Hayes, 19, said that their baby angel, Tommy, was taken into Torbay Hospital twice before he died at home on Sunday morning. Tommy had been wheezing and struggling to breathe before he was sent home after he fell asleep at the hospital.
Tommy’s devastated father, Liam said that their youngster had been sent home by staff at the said hospital because he had fallen asleep, he claims that doctors didn’t prescribe any treatments, medication, inhaler, or oxygen, all they had was just a leaflet.
He said: “Our son Tommy began to get ill with a cold the week before he died and they had phoned 111 twice in the previous few days because he was struggling to breathe.”
“Anya noticed that when he was breathing it was like he was trying to take multiple breaths at once. On one occasion I was at work and she took a video of it and sent it to me,” he added.
On Monday, November 15, Tommy was rushed into hospital by paramedics. The pediatrician diagnosed him with Bronchiolitis and said that they were lucky they had caught it early enough.
Tommy fell asleep so they sent Anya and him back home. But they promised that if it got worse, they would give him oxygen. On Thursday, November 18 Tommy became worse at about 8 pm so the couple decided to ring 111 again.
Liam said that Tommy was wheezing heavily and quickly. Again, the paramedics decided Tommy needed hospital care and took him to the hospital with Anya. But the baby fell asleep on the way to the hospital as the ambulance was queuing outside A&E.
Liam said: “Anya was outside A&E for quite a while because there was a long queue of ambulances. Tommy fell asleep. When they got in, they checked his breathing and could hear the wheezing. But because he was asleep his breathing wasn’t as quick as when he was awake and Anya showed them the video of what it was like. But they sent him home in the early hours of the morning.”
On Sunday morning Tommy had woken up at about 8 am, had a bottle, and went back to sleep. Liam was out and a cousin was staying to look after Bonnie so that Anya could go back to sleep.
Then when Anya woke up, she was unable to rouse her baby from his nap so she urgently called for her medic neighbor to help. They tried and do their best to save little Tommy with CPR, but sadly their efforts were in vain when their little angel passed away.
The dad explained: “Then at about 11:30 am Anya woke up by instinct and found Tommy dead in his crib. She panicked and grabbed him and lay him on the bed and rang her mom. She didn’t know what to do and was rubbing his tummy.”
He continued: “Our neighbor in the flats is a nurse and she came in and was giving him CPR. They rang me and I could hear the paramedics giving him CPR in the background and then they took the phone and told me that they were so sorry but they had had to stop the CPR and there was nothing more they could do and Tommy had died.”
“We have been asked questions left, right, and center by the police who want answers as much as we do. But we have not heard anything from the hospital or had an apology,” he added.
The couple, who also have a 16-month-old daughter, Bonnie, said Tommy was born at a healthy 5.9 kg. Hayley Baker, the nurse who attempted to resuscitate Tommy before paramedics arrived, described the incident as “the most brutal, horrible situation”.
The couple is well known in St. Mary church where they live in a flat close to The Dolphin pub. A GoFundMe to help the family has already raised almost $6647.70.
Hayley said: “They are such a young family and everybody knows them and the response has been fantastic. They live next door to The Dolphin and the whole community has rallied around to try to help them.”
Liam sadly said: “He was my first-born son and I cannot even spend that first Christmas with him, they should have kept him in longer and woken him up.”
Recommended Video For You!
Emotional Boy Preciously Holds Rainbow Baby Brother