A mother has issued a grave warning after her baby’s ‘innocent’ mark turned out to be a sign of a life-threatening condition.
Sharing her story with the parenting group Tiny Hearts Education, she said that when she first noticed the small rash, she tried to apply pressure to the area but it failed to turn white.
Even though the mark seemed innocent, she later found out that it was an early sign of meningitis.
If left untreated, meningitis can lead to lifelong complications or even death.
The group shared the mother’s story on social media to warn other parents and have urged them to look out for similar marks on their own children.
“If the rash turns white that means it blanches. A non-blanching rash doesn’t turn white when pressed,” they said.
“If the rash is non-blanching it means there is bleeding beneath the skin and there are tests that should be done to rule out anything serious causing this.”
Meningitis is an inflammation or swelling of the protective membranes that cover the brain and spinal cord.
A viral or bacterial inflection of the fluid surrounding the spinal cord or brain usually causes the inflammation.
Meningococcal, the bacteria that cause meningitis, can also result in sepsis.
In their video, experts explained that Meningococcal is dangerous as the infected blood ‘leaks out’ unknowingly under the skin.
Most people who catch meningitis early recover within two weeks but in rare cases, it can be deadly. Delayed treatment also increases the risk of permanent damage to the brain.
Some signs and symptoms include fever, a rash, vomiting, muscle pain or ache, stiff neck, sensitivity to light, and seizures.
What are your thoughts on this? Let us know in the comments section and SHARE this story with your friends and family!
Recommended Video For You!
“Newborn Twins Have Their First Conversation In The Hospital Baby Cot”