Three brothers from Ohio tragically died after they got trapped in their family farm’s manure pit.
According to St. Henry Fire Chief Matt Lefeld, Brad Wuebker, 35, Gary, 37, and Todd, 31, were fixing a manure pump when they became overcome by the fumes.
First responders found them unresponsive and unable to move in the pit.
Rescue crews used ladders and ropes to pull the brothers out of the pit. They were rushed to area hospitals but none of them survived the tragic incident.
An autopsy report for Todd and Gary, who were the first to perish, confirmed that they died from asphyxiation.
Todd leaves behind three young children: Levi, Baby, and Ava.
Manure pits, which are common on large livestock farms, are usually dug anywhere from 4 to 10ft deep. However, they can release dangerous gases including ammonia, methane, carbon monoxide, and hydrogen sulfate.
According to the Ohio State University Extension, some of these gases can result in difficulty breathing, headaches, dizziness, and death.
The CDC issued warnings and recommendations about manure pits after a study found that 16 farmers passed away from asphyxiation from 1980 t9 1985.
In 1989, five family members in Michigan tragically died in a manure pit while trying to rescue one another.
One person commented: “So sad. It’s enough to lose a love but three at the same time it’s heartbreaking. May the Lord give the family strength and comfort.”
Another wrote: “This is so tragic. My thoughts go to their loved ones. I’m from a farmers background and it’s one of the most dangerous jobs. Poor men.”
A third added: “This is so sad . My sincerest condolences to their family .”
What are your thoughts on this? Let us know in the comments section and SHARE this story with your friends and family!
Recommended Video For You!
“Father And The Bride Perform An Epic Wedding Dance Mashup”