A young boy tragically died after eating dinner prepared by his grandfather who forgot that he was allergic to nuts.
12-year-old Cason Hallwood from Winsford was playing with his friends when he suddenly experienced difficulty breathing.
He collapsed hours after he ate Christmas dinner with his mother, siblings, and grandparents last year.
But despite the EpiPen administered by his mother Louise and the efforts of doctors and paramedics, Cason went into respiratory and cardiac arrest.
He was rushed to Leighton Hospital in Crewe where he passed away.
An inquest into the young boy’s death at Warrington Coroner’s Court heard that his grandfather had ‘completely forgotten’ about his nut allergy.
According to reports, he used nuts to glaze the ham they ate for Christmas dinner.
Louise said that they had sat down to eat dinner at 2:25 pm before Cason went to a park with his friends.
“He was a bit of a livewire Cason, he didn’t want to sit and watch telly. He asked if he could go to the park with his mates. I said ‘ring me if you need me’ and with that, he was gone.
“About 20 minutes later my phone goes and Cason asked if I could send one of the boys with the inhalers. I didn’t panic at this point and one of the twins said they’d go on Cason’s bike.
“He was back in about 10 minutes and he said he seemed fine. My phone went again and this time I could tell that the inhalers hadn’t worked.”
In a statement read out by My Moore, Cason’s heartbroken grandfather Albert said: “My wife and I had invited Louise and our grandchildren, including Cason, over to the house for Christmas dinner. Other family were also there.
“I was cooking Christmas dinner and had prepped the night before – a beef joint and a gammon joint. I had completely forgotten about Cason’s nut allergy. We cooked the meal and at 2pm all the family enjoyed our time around the table. I remember Cason licking his plate clean and saying ‘grandad that was lovely’.
“Cason went out to play with his mates. Around 45 minutes to an hour later, I was told by my wife Helen that Cason was at the park and couldn’t breathe properly.”
“Helen asked me what I’d done with the food. It was at this point I realised that the gammon glaze I used had nuts in it. I had completely forgotten about the nut content of it,” the grandfather continued.
“I told my wife that the glaze had nuts in it. My heart sank as I realised this and I was just worried for Cason. As a family we are completely heartbroken.
“Life will never be the same again.”
What are your thoughts on this? Let us know in the comments section and SHARE this story with your friends and family!
Recommended Video For You!
“Girl Dances To ‘Despacito’ Without Realizing Her Grandpa Steals The Show”