A newborn baby tragically died after doctors accidentally gave him laughing gas instead of oxygen, leaving his parents devastated.
Only an hour after baby John Ghanem was born, he passed away after doctors used the wrong equipment.
According to reports, medics pumped nitrous oxide into the newborn’s body instead of oxygen.
An inquest heard that the gas had been there because of an ‘installation error.’
The tragic incident occurred in an operating theater at Bankstown-Lidcombe Hospital in Sydney on July 13, 2016.
According to reports, the gas had gone unnoticed for more than a year and the mistake was only discovered after one of the doctors noticed similarities with the death of a patient in India caused by a similar mix-up.
Shortly after the boy was born, he was placed in a resuscitation area as medics noticed a loose part of his umbilical cord was wrapped around his neck.
Doctors fitted a mask to the newborn to help him breathe but when he did not respond well, the mask was then hooked to a gas line labeled as oxygen.
After numerous attempts to save him, including life support, adrenaline shot, and CPR, he was pronounced dead.
Five years after the devastating incident, parents Sonya and Youssef said they still visit his bedroom.
“I come home and look at his room and no baby. I went in [to the hospital] empty handed thinking I’ll hold my newborn but no,” Sonya expressed.
Weeks after his death, another baby suffered permanent brain damage after doctors accidentally gave her laughing gas in the same operating theater.
One person commented: “Didn’t happen once, but twice? All those involved should be struck off.”
Another wrote: “This goes beyond incompetence!! After the first incident all bottles should have been checked properly.”
What are your thoughts on this? Let us know in the comments section and SHARE this story with your friends and family!
Recommended Video For You!
“Nurse Films Ghostly Figure In Hospital”